Research Development at MIT is a unit within the Office of the Vice President for Research tasked with strategically leveraging resources to increase MIT's research competitiveness. In particular, Research Development staff work directly with faculty, Institute administration, strategic partners and funders to facilitate research program funding.
Research Development's responsibilities include:
- Overseeing and managing institutionally limited submission funding opportunities
- Disseminating institutionally limited funding opportunities via the MIT Fund Ops listserv
- Developing resources and programming to raise awareness of relevant funding opportunities and enhance proposal competitiveness
- Managing the institutional endorsement process on behalf of the Office of the Vice President of Research for select internal funding opportunities and prestigious fellowships
- Providing advice and guidance for managing school and departmental level internal funding competitions, including using InfoReady
Contact Research Development
For questions and general inquiries please contact us.
Susan Gomes, M.A., Director of Research Development
Email: email@example.com | Office: NE18-901
Kalyana "Kalyan" Pingali, Ph.D., MBA, Assistant Director of Research Development
Phone: 617-324-8186 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Office: NE18-901
Tarnjit “Tannu” Singh, M.A., Program Manager
Phone: 617-253-9694 | Email: email@example.com | Office: NE18-901
Other offices at MIT assist in securing specific types of funding.
- Office of Foundation Relations (OFR) maintains relationships with a large portfolio of foundations. Please contact OFR before contacting a foundation.
- MIT Corporate Relations facilitates engagement between corporations, MIT, and MIT-connected startups through two integrated programs, the MIT Industrial Liaison Program (ILP) and MIT Startup Exchange.
- Office of Strategic Alliances and Technology Transfer (OSATT) Core provides guidance on industry-sponsored research agreements (ISRAs) and relationships between faculty and corporations.
- Research Administration Services reviews and submits proposals, negotiates and accepts awards, and provides support on managing funded projects.