Off-Campus Research Within the United States

What to Know

  • When performing research off campus in the US, be careful to always keep it within the Fundamental Research realm.
  • Off campus facilities may restrict access to US persons only, frequently government institutions do, but there must be no restrictions on publication (other than a review for proprietary info or a delay for filing patents applications) or on who (nationalities) can do the research. Often the facility conducts non fundamental research and may request NDAs and export control agreements be signed. These should be reviewed by the appropriate MIT personnel before signed.
  • Not all universities are Fundamental Research Only institutions, so find out before you go.

Need Help?

Contact the MIT Export Control Compliance Team at, or by phone at 617-253-2762 (Janet Johnston).